Boost your Drupal Website’s Ranking with these Drupal SEO Modules & Techniques!
Did you know that? 93% of online experiences begin with search engines? And 51% of all website traffic is based on organic searches! (source: Statista)
Okay! Let’s discuss something you know
The one thing that I’m hoping we all know is that every client has one thing in common need or ask i.e. “Can you help us appear on the first page of Google for some keywords?” The need is genuine and that's how businesses grow but the execution is not straightforward. And btw, there is a small catch here. Google sets its own algorithm for indexing and ranking content and the changes in such algorithms are best known to them. Look, we don't own Google hence, we have no control over it.
So you must be thinking then what's in our control and what we can do in such cases. Well, we can choose the CMS that is SEO friendly, the architecture, design and development, and everything else that will go on your website. All this is in your control. One such CMS is Drupal. Drupal is a robust and flexible CMS with amazing SEO modules that can help you enhance your ranking on search engines.
In this article, we are going to back you with a complete SEO guide incorporating SEO modules, features, and tips for your Drupal Website which you can very well utilize to acquire a rank as high as possible in the SERPs
Best Practices to Follow:
- Proactively prepare an SEO plan to begin by firmly keeping in mind the objective of your website and the interest and concerns of your target audience and visitors.
- Identify and understand your target audience before you get underway with a proven SEO plan for Drupal 8. Once your audience is set, shooting targeted content will be way easier.
- On-page SEO, Off-page SEO, and technical SEO are very important and are considered the key steps in order to achieve high ranks in SERPs. This usually includes works related to the content, improve keyword ranking, backlinks, site architecture, UX, clean code, etc; Take notice of every small detail to effectively optimize and boost your website's ranking.
- Website performance and site speed are the two most important factors for a website’s SEO ranking. This is not just because of Google’s algorithm update for speed but also because a sluggish website that loads slowly is an instant turn off for a good number of viewers and can also hamper the user experience.
- Each year new updates from google come and this year Google has transformed the way SEO worked earlier. The focus now is more on the purpose they serve to users – essentially through content. So, preparing the right Content strategy is an ongoing imperative need that can yield good website ranking and traffic.
- Google prefers and benefits websites that simplify users to navigate and locate, no matter what the device is. With Drupal 8, one can guarantee responsive websites as they have a Mobile-first approach.
- Always keep in mind that SEO serves differently for different industries. The concept of one-size-fits-all will certainly not work when it comes to preparing a full-proof SEO plan for your Drupal website.
Top Drupal SEO Modules that can be used to Optimize your Website
1. Drupal SEO Checklist Module
If you are a person who sets an agenda for every day and loves organizing things, this Drupal SEO checklist module will work the best for you. This is an essential SEO module that does not instantly hit your Drupal SEO and enhances the SERP but will definitely contribute crucial data on adjustments that are necessary and should be made on the site. The Drupal SEO checklist module monitors your Drupal website entirely for suitable search engine optimization versus SEO best practices and advises you what to do. It presents a thorough report which includes proven tips and tricks to improve the performance of your Drupal website.
Besides, this module maintains track of how tasks have been dealt with, things that have already been done (with timestamps), and things that need to be attended to. If a task requires you to fix a module, it will render a link to download it as well (isn't that amazing). This data proffers a report that can be utilized for further monitoring.
2. Meta Tag
Metatag module is considered a big gun for SEO in Drupal. Drupal doesn’t hold editable meta tags fields. At this exact moment, the meta tags module comes in handy. This module facilitates your authority and control over the meta tags, which includes the description, page title, and keywords. One can place meta tags for users, taxonomy terms, views, nodes. Meta tags also prefer users' options to fix default meta tags for the site on a whole and individual pages.
Pathauto, one of the most downloaded and popular modules of Drupal. The Pathauto module helps you save your hours from manually building the path/URL aliases. It accomplishes this by automatically creating URL/path aliases for the content out of configurable patterns.
For instance, we structure our blog entry as blog-entry/[node:title]. And we publish this blog post with the headline “ Top Drupal SEO Modules to optimize your website”, Pathauto will directly make a URL that is SEO friendly as “blog/top-drupal-SEO-modules to optimize your website”.
4. XML sitemap
In order to help Google, Bing and other search engines list your content, a sitemap should be proffered to them which will index all of the pages on your website. With the XML sitemap module, the sitemap is automatically generated in an XML setup, submitted to search engines, and then re-submitted anytime there is a modification in your content. It can also be utilized to rank some site sections comparatively higher than others - you may want your e-commerce product page changes to have more influence/rank higher than your policy pages. To put it simply, the XML sitemap makes it easy for Google’s search bot to crawl and list the website. and automatically creates a fresh and up-to-date sitemap that adheres to sitemaps.org terms.
5. Google Analytics Module
This is hands-down the best free software available for analytics that you should definitely integrate with your website. As the name suggests, it is basically used to analyze the number of visitors your site is getting, their location, what they do on your website, and a whole lot more. It is a huge software that provides you raw data about your visitors and requires time to explore and learn. For Drupal, this google analytics module helps in the setting of pages/content types, links, file downloads, and an entire host of other possibilities that are traced by GA account.
6. Global Redirect Module
Problems arise when the alias system in Drupal produces SEO-friendly URLs as the default URL was never removed and is still there, meaning there are 2 URLs with the ditto content on your site. The search engine bot can define this duplicate content, and this may be a big of a deal and can cause trouble. Therefore, this is where the Global Redirect comes as a hero and manages this difficulty by monitoring to recognize if there is an alias for the existing URL and redirect to the alias URL.
The module also comes along with other relevant traits: excluding the trailing slash in the URL; c checking authority and access to nodes, URLs and, checking that clear URLs are being executed precisely or not.
7. SEO Compliance Checker Module
If you want to have a thorough check-up on your work and adjustment of a node then the SEO Compliance checker module is apt in such cases. Be it SEO beginners or webmasters, this module is just suitable for both as it visually presents a conclusion that enables us to know where we are lacking, where we need improvement to produce influential and well-optimized content. This includes scanning if there are enough alt tags in the image, usage of keywords in the node titles, keyword density on the body, etc;
8. Content Optimizer
We are all aware that in today's competitive market "Content is king". Therefore, it goes without saying that there is a need to optimize Content for SERPs. Content Optimizer helps us by giving a quick analysis and statistics of your website content and also confers a definite idea of how SEO friendly your site is. Moreover, Content Optimizer also recommends steps to advance search engine rankings.